Skip to main content

Renegade Round Up By Overexcitable Crafter

Renegade Craft Fair, Old Trueman Brewery, London
Lost In The Wood stall, Renegade
This time last weekend I was fully immersed in the Renegade Craft Fair experience. Surrounded by many, many wonderful stalls by fab contemporary makers and meeting more potential customers than I've ever seen at a fair, there was a very positive buzz in the spacious old brewery. I'd opted for a half stall as it was cheaper and meant less pressure on producing enough things to fill the space! Also, the thought of manouvering an even more massive & unwieldy suitcase of crochet treasures around London was fairly daunting.

Running With Scissors

I felt fortunate to be sharing a stall with the very lovely Sam from Running With Scissors who makes incredibly soft, gorgeous baby blankets and lots of things to make you smile. It's a shame I didn't get round to taking many photos as one with her & equally glamorous friend would have been great. At least I managed a pic of her stall, a glimpse into the Running with Scissors world. The Fair was busy and bustling over both days, luckily my very helpful & patient friend took over so I could roam about to have a hurried but rewarding look around. I have to admit to feeling a bit of a mental meltdown coming on as there was just so much to love! Here's an extremely potted tour around my personal highlights:

There was quite a few makers I already followed online and it was brilliant to see their work in real life such as: I Love Cats (amusing cat illustrations on cards & homewares), Floss & Mischief (on trend needlework of insects) I am Acrylic (jaunty handcut acrylic jewellery etc), House of Ismay (enchanting literary brooches) Loglike (wooden fruit & homewares)  Jimbob Art (illustrations with humour).

Emma Cocker's Creatures, Renegade Fair
New people to love included Emma Cocker (fabulous fabric Craftidermy creatures),  Kishboo (handcut wood & acrylic brooches, much coveted by me)   Hand Over Your Fairy Cakes (brilliant name, colourful funky jewellery), Mister Peebles (humourous illustrations) Amy Panda (felty brooches)  True Style Lab (astonishing realistic needle felt tarantulas & other creatures)  Mooshpie (quirky illustrations).


Needle Felt Pigeon by Ruth Packham
There was a contingent of North/Mid Wales makers: me, Peris & Corr (lovely eco-friendly screen printing & organic textiles)  Dyfal Donc (quirky jewellery & cards),  Ruth Packham (needle felting, cards & textiles)  Loglike. The last two were both fighting it out for the honour of 'Laura's Most Favourite Find' with Ruth's needle felt pigeon going head to head (or beak to leaf) with a green wooden apple. Ms Pigeon won but sadly did not come home with me to North Wales.
Loglike Wooden Apple



Comments

  1. Your stall looks lovely! And how tempting to take home twice as much stuff as you've brought with you! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille

(Anatomical) Love Is In the Air!

Crochet Anatomical Hearts by Lost In The Wood February has been set aside for a much needed catch up with the paperwork (dull but essential), a move into my new cute little studio (exciting), finishing commissions (overdue) and an exhibition piece (satisfying). However, I was a very busy little bee in January, working on some new anatomical designs (which will be a key focus for my work this year). I've started with hearts, the most appropriate bodily organ for this time of year and one of the most interesting to crochet with all it's ventricles, veins and arteries. I'm not claiming these are anatomically correct (no student of biology/ physiology should look to these as learning aids or we're all done for) but they make a reasonable attempt. Intended as large wall pieces, hang them as statement art works or nestle a smaller one under a bell jar and let them be brazen about their well crafted weirdness! They have been hanging splendidly in the Lotti & W

Medieval Medicine Trending- Leeches Are Sucking Back!

Poison & Crochet Leeches Jars Thought it was time for a more crochet centred post as I seem to have been distracted my lovely summer events and activities recently (I'm not sorry). This morning I was inspired by this story on BBC Wales www.bbc.co.uk/Medicinal leech farming making a comeback in Wales Istanbul Leeches Apparently,"leech-farming is back in Wales... the 60,000 leeches a year they provide for hospitals throughout Europe make Swansea's Biopharm the biggest suppliers of leeches in the UK." Long associated with quack medicine, they actually introduce a powerful anticoagulant chemical into blood making them "perfect for microsurgery, particularly when severed fingers or toes have been reattached".  So far, my only sighting of real leeches was an odd spin on the imagined old glass bottled leeches (previously available in all good old apothecaries). I spotted a large plastic drum (a recycled water cooler I suspected) of leeches for hi